Other sources for free ebooks
Which Ereader to Buy?
The Download Process
All entries for digital titles include a globe icon . Click this icon to go to the Ohio Ebook Project where you can begin the check out process or place a hold depending on the availability of the title.
Ohio Ebook Project
To view complete title availability, sign in. You can browse by format and category, perform a simple search or an advanced search. Advanced searches can be limited by format and all results can be limited to Only Available Copies.
- Library catalog
When you are ready to check a title out, choose a format that is compatible with the computer or device you are using.
This format is for the Kindle device and free Kindle Apps. View detailed instructions or follow these steps:
1. Click on Add to cart next to the Kindle icon to begin the check out process or click Join the waiting list to place a hold.
2. Once check out is completed, click on the Get for Kindle button. Amazon.com will open.
3. Click on Get library book.
4. Sign in or enter email to create new account.
5. Select the device or app to which you wish to download the title.
6. Synch your device or app with Amazon. Remember a wireless transfer can only happen over a Wi-Fi connect. If you do not have access to a Wi-Fi network, use the Transfer via USB option.
Amazon Privacy, Security, & Accessibility
EPUB and PDF eBooks
These are DRM-protected files that require Adobe Digital Editions software.
1. Click on Add to cart next to the Adobe EPUB or Adobe PDF icon to begin the check out process or click Join the waiting list to place a hold.
2. Once check out is complete, click the Download button and follow the instructions.
3. If you have not already installed the Adobe Digital Editions software, click on the link to download the software (Adobe Digital Editions installation instructions). Once the software is installed, return to download page (My Digital Bookshelf).
4. To transfer a title to a reading device, connect the device to your computer. In Adobe Digital Editions library view, click on the title you wish to transfer and drag it to your device on left-hand menu.
View video demonstration on using Adobe Digital Editions and transferring titles to a Nook.
Downloading, Installing, and Registering Adobe Digital Editions on a Windows PC
Using Adobe Digital Editions to transfer an eBook to an eReader on a Windows PC
Both Open EPUB and Open PDF formats are DRM free.
1. Click on Add to cart next to the Open EPUB or Open PDF icon to begin the check out process or click Join the waiting list to place a hold.
2. Once check out is complete, right-click on Right-click to save
3. Select Save Link As... or Save Target As... from the menu
4. Save file to the location of your choice on your computer
5. Open the file with the ebook software of your choice
6. Transfer to an ereader that supports the format