On-the-Road at Starbucks Book Club
Starbucks, 2418 Far Hills Avenue, in Oakwood.
Come join us!
December 9, 2014 – The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver Kingsolver’s beloved debut novel, The Bean Trees, tells the story of Taylor Greer, a young Kentuckian who has worked hard to flee her rural home without becoming pregnant. Driving westward in a dilapidated VW, she makes it to the middle of the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma before her car breaks down. No sooner does she stop, than a woman leaves a tiny American Indian girl in her care. Taylor names her small charge “Turtle” and begins to build a new life with her child, facing a blue-collar world that alternates between desperation and compassion.
January 13, 2015 -- Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls Author of The Glass Castle, Walls turns to fiction to tell the story of her extraordinary grandmother, Lily Casey Smith. Lily spent her early years living in a dirt dugout and learning to break horses. By age 15, she traveled 500 miles alone on horseback to teach in a frontier town. Lily was plain spoken but fiercely outspoken against hypocrisy and prejudice. Assailed by floods, tornados and drought, she met each challenge and found time to marry, run a large ranch, birth two children, learn to drive a car and fly a plane.
- Home by Marilynne Robinson
- Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez
- My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor
- The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
- Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
- Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
- O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
- Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
- The Liar's Club by Mary Karr
- Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder
- All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
- Abide with Me by Elizabeth Strout
- Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar
- The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew
- People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
- Transatlantic by Colum McCann
- The Little Princes: One Man’s Promise to Bring Them Home by Connor Grennan
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway