2017 Summer Reading Club
Everyone is invited! Join this summer to explore, learn, and build a better world!
How do I register?
Summer Reading Club is open to everybody, from birth to teenagers entering their senior year of high school. Register for Summer Reading Club by filling out the online registration form or asking a Youth Services staff member at the Library. Registration opens May 12!
May 12? Is that a little early?
The Wright Memorial Public Library is joining with all the libraries in Montgomery County to create a summer of learning for every child in the county. One way we are accomplishing this is by every library starting Summer Reading Club on the same date: May 12. It’s the date that the first school in Montgomery County lets out for the summer. As always, summer programs at the Wright Library will run from the Saturday that Oakwood schools let out until the Saturday that Oakwood schools go back into session. This expansion to May 12 simply gives our kids more time to read!
What counts as reading?
Audiobooks, magazines, print books, e-books, board books, chapter books, picture books, fiction, and nonfiction all count the same, so read what interests you! Older siblings reading to younger siblings counts for both readers. Listening to a story read by a parent or caregiver counts, too! About the only reading that doesn’t count is closed captioning on a movie or TV show, because active reading cannot be ensured. If parents choose to set more restrictive standards of reading for their children, that is, of course, acceptable to the library for the purposes for Summer Reading Club. If you are uncertain about the exact amount of time you read, make your best guess and round up. Some readers may prefer to fill out half a box at a time on their reading logs.
What can I win?
- Registration Prize: Kick start your summer of learning with a selfie at our smile spot and gift certificates to the Ohio State Fair and Ohio State Parks! These will be available at the Library starting at our Kick-Off Event Saturday, June 3. No matter when you sign up, you are eligible for this prize. Also, everyone who registers by 11:59pm on Saturday, June 3 is eligible for a prize drawing. You could win 2 passes to Kings Island, 2 passes to The Beach, or 1 week of classes at K-12 Gallery and TEJAS!
- Weekly Coupons: For every week you do at least half an hour of reading, you earn a coupon to an area business! You can claim your coupon each week, or collect the coupons in batches if you visit the Library less frequently. Coupons may be collected retroactively but not in advance. Coupons are available while supplies last; substitutions may be made.
- Reading Prizes: After completing your first 12 hours of reading, you earn a canned food donation from Dorothy Lane Market to The Foodbank*, and a custom library button (children) or a Redbubble sticker (teens)! After completing 24 hours, you earn a yard sign and a brand new book for you to keep! This year’s books have been donated by Penguin-Random House and Barnes & Noble**. If you read over 24 hours, you earn another book for every additional 24 hours you complete (i.e., 48 hours, 72 hours, 96 hours, etc.).
*Up to a total donation of $1500 for the summer. The Foodband serves foodbanks throughout the Miami Valley.
**Please note that a short piece of paperwork must be filled out when you choose a Barnes & Noble book, and that you may either pick the prize up at the library as soon as the next day or immediately pick up the book yourself from Barnes & Noble stores (Dayton Mall and Beavercreek locations).
- Grand Prize Drawings: Our generous sponsors donated some really cool prizes—museum passes, gift cards, sweet treats and more! For every 24 hours of reading completed, you will be automatically entered in the Grand Prize Drawings. Entries must be submitted to the Library by Saturday, August 12 at 5 pm. Winners will be announced at the Ice Cream Social on Sunday, August 13.
Tell me more about the prizes.
All Summer Reading Club prizes must be picked up by 5pm on Sunday, September 3. All prizes are subject to availability—it doesn’t happen often, but very rarely we do run out of weekly coupons. The library staff will make available a substitute coupon whenever possible.
*Dorothy Lane Market will donate a maximum of $1500 worth of canned goods to build a sculpture that will then be donated to The Foodbank. Each child will receive one can when they read for 12 hours. They can take a picture with the can, and then the can will be added to the sculpture.
Anticipated coupons include:
- June 3 - June 9: Cheryl’s Cookies
- June 10 - June 16: Goldfish Swim School (children up to age 12); Ashley’s Bakery Bucks, Kilwin’s Ice Cream Cones, Ritters (13+)
- June 17 - June 23: Sonic
- June 24 - June 30: Skate World/The Trails
- July 1 - June 7: Chick-fil-A
- July 8 - July 14: The Magic Castle
- July 15 - July 21: Taco Bell
- July 22 - July 28: Chipotle
- July 29 - August 4: Laser Quest
- August 5—August 11: Ohio Renaissance Festival Armstrong Air & Space Museum (4 passes)
Grand Prize Drawings include:
- Dayton Society of Natural History (One-year Family Membership to Boonshoft Museum)
- City BBQ ($20 gift card)
- COSI (2 general admission tickets)
- Dayton Flyers (Voucher--Four tickets to Men's Basketball; Voucher--Four Tickets to Women's Basketball; Voucher--Four tickets to Football)
- Goldfish Swim School (free 3-month swim class)
- Graeters (two $10 gift certificates)
- Old Scratch Pizza (Five ($5.00) gift cards; One ($25) gift card)
- Pies & Pints (Certificate for one large specialty pizza)
- Scene75 (two $10 gift cards)
- Tropical Smoothie